Sedation dentistry is a safe and comfortable dental treatment option for patients who have special needs. An important offering for a family dentistry practice, sedation dentistry — sometimes called relaxation dentistry — uses medication and other relaxation modalities, to manage discomfort and anxiety during professional dental care. Sedation dentistry is particularly helpful for patients who suffer from a fear of dentists.
At the DFW family dentistry office, choice is the operative word when it comes to sedation dentistry. We offer the following options for relaxation, pain management and sedation for dental procedures:
- Oral sedation
- Nitrous oxide
- IV sedation for wisdom teeth extractions
- Soothing music
- Massage chairs for added comfort and to reduce stress
If the patient already knows his or her preference and knows what works best for their individual situation, we honor that choice. Otherwise, we work with the patient to find the sedation dental option that works best for each patient’s comfort and relaxation.
Because we see children and teens in our family dentistry practice, we also offer sedation options for kids dental surgery, which is discussed in detail with parents prior to any procedures.
Common Sedation Dental Methods
The most common types of sedation dentistry we use in our DFW family dentistry practice are Oral Conscious Sedation and Inhalation Sedation.
- Oral Conscious Sedation provides deep relaxation even while the patient remains conscious. The dentist administers a safe and low-cost oral medication that is easy to swallow. Adult patients are usually given Halcion or triazolam. Even as the medication works, patients are still able to speak and respond to the dentist’s instructions.
- Inhalation Sedation involves the use of Nitrous Oxide — also known as “laughing gas” — to help the body fully relax. It is the most common form of sedation dentistry in use today.
Who Is Sedation Dentistry For?
In our DFW family dentistry practice, we see many patients who benefit greatly from the relief from pain, fear and anxiety that sedation dentistry provides. In particular, sedation provides great benefits in the following situations:
- Strong fear of dental treatments
- Complicated or serious dental problems
- Traumatic dental experiences in the past
- Fear of shots or needles
- Trouble getting numb
- Sensitive teeth
If you face any of these challenges, we invite you to visit our DFW family dentistry practice and see what a difference sedation dentistry can make for you.